Living In Canada: North and West Vancouver School Districts
‘The SWIS worker helped my children and my husband and I to understand what to expect when they started school. My son got to visit the school before it started and meet other students. I learned about the Canadian school system’- Nahid
The Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) Program
The SWIS program is a school-based outreach program that helps newcomer students and their families settle into their North and West Vancouver school and community. SWIS Workers meet with students and families one-on-one to provide support and to facilitate meetings between families, students and school staff. Workshops are held to provide information and support for students and families in a group setting.
Workshop topics for families include:
- Back-to-School Essentials for Parents of Elementary School Students
- Back-to-School Essentials for Parents of High School Students
- English Language Learning Orientation
- Orientation to BC Report cards, Grading System, Homework
- Post-Secondary Education Information (in English)
- Orientation to the Library and Winter Activities
- Information Session on Graduation Requirements
- Orientation to the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program
- Transition to High School Information
- Summer School Information
- Introduction to North Shore Summer Activities
SWIS services are available in Farsi, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Tagalog, French and English. Access to interpretation services for other languages is available as needed.
Call For Appointment 604-988-2931
Our services are Government Sponsored and Free of Charge.